On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:11 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> Thing is, I don't see any benefit, for myself, in systemd.
> If people want to use it, fine.
> But, if people are trying to force it upon everyone, then I will have a
> problem with it.

It cuts both ways. Let's assume that you want to use polkit/policykit
where the most recent version depends on logind and has dropped
support for consolekit. You don't want to be forced into using systemd
because of the deprecation of consolekit support but the developers of
polkit don't want to be forced into maintaining support for
consolekit.

It's too bad that the systemd maintainers tied their login and cgroup
managers into their /sbin/init; systemd would've been uncontroversial
if they had.

Ubuntu and Debian use systemd-shim (AFAIR/AFAIUI previously
systemd-services) and cgmanager in order to use a standalone logind
running without systemd as pid 1.

> I just had a look at the use-flags for systemd, similarly to myself wondering
> about multimedia support in grub2, I wonder why there is an HTTP-server
> embedded in journald. I somehow doubt it has any real security on it and I
> have seen programs write usernames and passwords to stdout/syslog when running
> with the default log-levels.

I suspect that grub has multimedia support because there's an option
to emit a beep when grub starts. It's not an option that I've used or
that I'll ever use but someone must want/like it. :)

The systemd line was always that if you wanted to ship your logs off
to another box, use rsyslog. So I've never understood the embedding of
an httpd in systemd. I guess that the httpd server's useful if if you
want a basic send-the-logs-to-another-box-as-is, but that, if you want
to filter or manipulate the journald output, you have to use rsyslog
or syslog-ng.