Hi,

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:43:12 +0100 Nils Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 02:03:48PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
>
> > I gave up on chromium starting from chromium-36, where they dropped
> > pre-SSE2 x86 support (and I use such system: Athlon-XP). I tried to
> > re-add this stuff with partial success (works, but still SIGILLs
> > sometimes) and it's very hard to clean all pieces. Looks like
> > they're slowly abandoning x86 and older hardware at all.
>
> Actually, I can't say that I'm too much of a fan of chromium either.
> I'm more than happy using vimb, sometimes also midori and firefox.
> Chromium mostly only sits here as a last resort when some site doesn't
> seem to work right in one of the other browsers (which, fortunatly,
> only happens with a frequency that is rapidly approaching "never").

There are many things I don't like in Chromium, but there is one
feature so important, that I can overlook all disadvantages of
chromium: this feature is security. Unlike other browsers (I don't
consider chrome or chromium forks here as a separate browsers)
chromium is secure by design: it isolates tabs and plugins,
supports various namespaces, seccomp sandboxing, yama framefork.
Other browsers don't: tabs are not isolated, plugins have poor
isolation (it seems firefox is working in this direction at least),
thogh they work fine on my yama-enabled systems.

> So
> the fact that I don't care about chromium too much, with the added
> fact that my main machine is a lower-range laptop and takes quite a
> while to build chromium, is also the reason why I can't be bothered
> right now to re-build in order to try out various things or otherwise
> try to collect debugging information.

distcc will help you here, that is the way how I maintain older
boxes. Of course, you should use ccache too.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko