Everybody's favoritest cuddly FOSS personality Theo de Raadt is quoted in
Wikipedia as saying: "NFS4 is not on our roadmap.  It's a horribly bloated
protocol that they keep adding crap to."

The latest nfs-utils package demonstrates why he's annoyed with NFS4:

This morning I got this when mounting an nfs share that's been working for
many months:

#mount.nfs -v a6:/usr/portage /usr/portage/
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sun Feb  1 13:09:39 2015
mount.nfs: trying text-based options
'vers=4.2,addr=192.168.1.84,clientaddr=192.168.1.84'
mount.nfs: mount(2): Invalid argument
mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

Note the "vers=4.2", which is brand new behavior.  My kernel doesn't have
any config option for nfs-4.2 because I've never enabled nfs-4.1 and the
4.2 option is invisible in menuconfig without it.  Who knew?

So, you either need to enable nfs-4.1 *and* nfs-4.2 in your kernel, or start
using the nfsvers=4 mount option in fstab.

Anyone got an opinion on the need for nfs-4.2?  Is it better, or just newer?
I was happy with nfs3 until it stopped working for reasons I still don't
understand :(