On 02/03/2015 03:29 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This morning I got "waiting on lockfile foo in /usr/portage/distfiles"
>> "locking not available" from my nfs3 clients when trying to download
>> needed source files.

>> I don't recall having this problem back in my former nfs3-only days.
>> Maybe I've forgotten something obvious that I did back then?
>
> There used to be an rpc.lockd daemon but lockd's been moved to a
> kernel module for nfsv3 and to nfsd for nfsv4. RHEL 5 has it
> (nfs-utils 1.09) and RHEL 6 doesn't (nfs-utils 1.2) so it must've been
> dropped with v1.1 or v1.2. I don't know when it was dropped in Gentoo
> terms (probably 6-7 years ago). Does this ring a bell?

Yes, I remember rpc.lockd.

> Does file locking work for an nfsv3 mount after you re-enable nfsv4 in
> your kernel config?

Hm.  No, I still get the same "No locks available" error.

> If no, then are you setting static ports for statd and lockd and
> allowing access to these ports with iptables?

Noooo, that's way above my pay grade :)

I mentioned earlier in this thread that, when I run this command:

#mount.nfs a6://usr/portage /usr/portage -o nfsvers=3

it hangs indefinitely, but if I hit Ctrl-c and quickly re-run the same
command it succeeds. (I've been trying to measure what "quickly" means
but it seems to vary, seems random, but always less than a minute.)

I'm posting this info mainly for the benefit of future googlers because
nfs4 is working well and I don't really *need* nfs3.

If you're interested in this problem I'd be happy to try any/all debugging
experiments, but otherwise don't spend any more time on it.

Many thanks for your help, Tom