On Monday 02 March 2015 09:29:15 Tanstaafl wrote:
> Googling on a minor issue with perl-cleaner after the 5.20 upgrade, I
> ran across this post:
>
> On 2/14/2015 7:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, you shouldn't really have any libs in your world file. Any
> > required would be pulled in as dependencies.
>
> Is this in fact true?
>
> I checked mine, and found:
>
> # grep -i libs /var/lib/portage/world
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
> dev-libs/apr
> dev-libs/apr-util
> dev-libs/boost
> dev-libs/elfutils
> dev-libs/glib
> dev-libs/gmp
> dev-libs/libaio
> dev-libs/libdnet
> dev-libs/libevent
> dev-libs/libffi
> dev-libs/libgcrypt
> dev-libs/libgpg-error
> dev-libs/libksba
> dev-libs/libpcre
> dev-libs/libyaml
> dev-libs/oniguruma
> dev-libs/openssl
> media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
> media-libs/libpng
> net-libs/libtirpc
> net-libs/serf
> sys-libs/cracklib
> sys-libs/glibc
> sys-libs/libcap
> sys-libs/timezone-data
>
> So, should I delete all of these? Even glib and glibc?

Yes, by all means. The only lib I have in my world file is sys-libs/gpm.
(I'm not even convinced that should be in the sys-libs category.)

By the way, app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs will be called in by
whatever package needs it, along with all the others in your list, so
don't worry about losing multilib capability.

It could be that all those libs have found their way into world by
accident, presumably by you forgetting to include -1 when updating them.

--
Rgds
Peter.