On Saturday 30 May 2015 00:20:51 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Other than the odd bug here and there I was perfectly happy with KDE3 and
> > Kmail1 (still using with kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.11.1-r1).
>
> I wonder if there's a way to go back to KMail-1 and import all my e-mails
> from  KMail-2 archive files into it. Would you like to help me, Mick, with
> ebuilds etc?

On my laptop which has stayed on Kmail-1 I have this:

$ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>=kde-base/akonadiconsole-4.5.50
>=kde-base/akregator-4.5.50
>=kde-base/blogilo-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kabcclient-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kaddressbook-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kalarm-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-common-libs-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-icons-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-l10n-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-kresources-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-strigi-analyzer-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-runtime-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kdepim-wizards-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kjots-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kleopatra-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kmail-4.5.50
>=kde-base/knode-4.5.50
>=kde-base/knotes-4.5.50
>=kde-base/konsolekalendar-4.5.50
>=kde-base/kontact-4.5.50
>=kde-base/korganizer-4.5.50
>=kde-base/ktimetracker-4.5.50

I don't know if going back to Kmail-1 from Kmail-2 is a viable proposal.  Some
of the Kmail-1 packages have abi_x86_32 dependencies, so expect some
rebuilding of e.g. sys-libs/readline-6.3_p8-r2  I performed it a number of
times on an old laptop, which would not work with Kmail-2, but this was done
some years ago.  In each case I restored my Mail folder from back up and
eventually gave up on Kmail-2.

Have a look here for more details and warnings:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade

I expect that sooner or later bitrot will catch up with Kmail-1 and it will
stop working.  I dread for this happening, but I will not move to Kmail-2
until then.

--
Regards,
Mick