On 10/03/2015 06:41 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/10/2015 05:31, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>       I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking, with
>>> respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to. The semantic
>>> desktop, or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it, is one
>>> thing that comes immediately to mind.
>>>
>>>       Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt. The
>>> problem is that I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few
>>> more. Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge in
>>> kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries, which I can
>>> live with, but not the whole desktop environment?
>>
>> Yes. Remove all of KDE then emerge back in the apps you want, they have
>> deps on the libs they need. Whatever they pull in is required.
>
> It is easier than that.
>
> Edit your /var/lib/portage/world
> Remove anything kde-related you're not explicitly interested in, such
> as kde-meta
> Add anything you are explicitly interested in, such as kwooty or kwrite
> Add kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta
>
> Then run emerge --depclean and watch all the other stuff go away.
>
> No need to purge yourself of stuff like kdelibs that takes a long time
> to rebuild just to add it back.  Let the dependency manager help you
> out for a change.  :)
>
> I'm not even certain you need to explicitly add kdebase-runtime-meta -
> other packages might pull that in on their own but I'm not certain of
> that.  Run a --depclean -p first and see what portage wants to get rid
> of before going that route.  Software may-or-may not work correctly
> without that virtual installed and your bugs will be closed as
> invalid.  That virtual is intended to be a somewhat-minimalist one for
> situations like yours, but kde applications still will tend to pull a
> lot of stuff in.

        Closing my original question, I followed Alan's advice, fiddled the
world file, and whilst not exactly "hey presto", a few emerge's, some
hand manipulation of a few files and eventually it worked.

        It's a bit of a jump, I'd become quite used to Dolphin and whilst
pcmanfm likes to think of itself as a dolphin replacement, it's a long
long way from being so. There is no autohide of the task bar, no
slideshow wallpaper option, I still can't work out automounting of usb's
and plenty more to keep you on your toes.

        So thanks for all of your suggestions.

                Andrew