I was saying the libsdl packages have a USE flag "sound" which builds the
sound module for sdl. So if qemu makes any calls to the sound module not
pure alsa calls, that might be causing your issue.

Wabes USE flag output shows he's building sdl with the "sound" use flag
enabled and not just alsa alone.