On 01/16/2016 07:48 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> I've set up my home server to act as a Windows-type terminal server
>> using X and tigervnc.
>
> OK, there you're running the X server and client on the same machine,
> but the server is using VNC to display remotely.  That works.  Just
> don't try to do it the "right" way -- the way X was intended to work.

Yes, I was aware the "right" way wouldn't work for what I was trying to
do. To be honest, I never tested this over a VPN, I usually use it
internally when I'm moving big files around on the server. I used the
shell for the longest time but when you are copying files that don't
easily into a wildcard pattern, it's just easier to click them in the
GUI and copy/move them. That was the whole reason I set it up. The nice
thing is that everything runs on the server on my local LAN this way,
the only thing needed is tigervnc (well, and a VPN setup) on the client.

I've been running this setup for at least seven years (probably longer,
I don't remember when I set it up originally) now, with no major issues.
I actually just ran into one recently (like two weeks ago) - the new
version of tigervnc doesn't work in the manner I've set up with the
latest stable Xorg. Instead of troubleshooting, I just masked them and
everything is running normally.

I actually used a forum thread in the Docs, Tips, and Tricks forum[1] to
get it set up initially.

Dan

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-72893-highlight-xvnc.html