Michael Palimaka <kensington <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> > If so, is there a list of which kde applications can be installed without
> > the KDE bloat (simple QT5) requirements?

> You've always been able to pick and choose individual KDE applications
> without installing all of KDE, although in KDE 4 we did recommend also
> installing one of the smaller meta packages (eg.
> kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta) to ensure everything worked correctly.

It's been a few years for me on KDE, so this is good news to know.
The simplicity of lxde has been very nice and the resource demand
is so low it's just wonderful. I'm going to set up a new workstation
based on lxqt(5), and gcc-5.3.

> You can identify KF5/Qt5-based applications based on their slot.
> Something like eix kde-apps/ --slot 5 should give the full list of
> what's available so far.

Ah!  very nice. I did not know that slot 5 is where all the kde (qt5)
compatible packages are group. Very cool usage of the slot, methinks.
Nice option for eix on the /category/ and slot number.

thx,
James