On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:52:54 -0400 (EDT)
A. Khattri wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
>
> > Alfresco is what I'd have called a content management system - as
> > opposed to a document management system.  I'm interested in managing
> > archives of documents I have received from other people (in dead-tree
> > format)...
>
> If there was something that scanned the document, performed OCR on it,
> checked the OCR output and then built an electronic repository for you I'd
> recommend it. Until then, Alfresco is the closest thing Ive seen that is
> open source. If you're willing to do your own scanning and OCR'ing then it
> will do the rest.
>
> BTW, I would call things like Mambo or Xaraya, content-management tools -
> Alfresco is a slightly different kettle of fish.

Yes I know what Steve is after, and I'd love to find a way. I was put
off by Alfresco being called "Content Management" because all of the
content management systems I have seen end up bioding something that
resembles [name your favourite news website]

A closer look at alfresco reveals that it does look more like what Steve (and I
) are after.

I am a lawyer and I handle hundreds of documents every week, from email
through pdf (both made from an electronic source and therefore has all
the text available, and scanned) openoffice (one enlightened client!),
word, excel, html, faxes, letters (on paper, ya know!) you name it
someone will send me something in it!

It'd be great to have a metadata system where I could give everything
some keywords:

client name, file number, matter number, subjects, useful as a
precedent, useful case etc etc etc so that in future I can :

pull up every document on my computer, my secretary's computer, my mail
server (including attachments), my file server, my palm pilot, relating
to a particular client

pull up every document about company debentures

find the case i downloaded and stored somewhere about liability of
guarantors in a consumer credit loan

find the seminar book for the seminar i went to on asome new area of
law.

find a letter written by Joe Bloggs sometime in 2003.