On 13/07/2016 20:14, James wrote:
"J." GarcĂ­a <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:

I know the Gentoo Infra team has had negative experiences with
hosting
just about anything Java and don't want to go near it.  I don't know
if that is based on specific experiences with GitLab or with just
avoidance with Java in general.  Most of the competing solutions in
this space are also Java-based which is why we don't host any kind of
alternative to Github.

What java has to do with gitlab? according to the repo I see is mostly
ruby code[1](both gitlab and gitlab-ci). what you wrote make it seems
like it is a java app.
In the github mirror of gitlab(the main app), the file stats are:
2,253 Ruby
697 Haml
319 Markdown
158 CoffeeScript
99 SCSS
90 Cucumber
40 YAML
39 HTML+ERB
26 SVG
25 JavaScript

Huh. (Double huh...) As Alan is always quick to quip:: JavaScript ain't
java, so that changes the entire game. Performance can be fixed with a
gentoo cluster (yet to be proven). I also read that gitlab is working to
make the "engine" faster.....

I have two gitlabs at work

The old one which has been broken for yonks since an up grade that went terribly bad. New keys for users always made it into the gitlab db, never into git's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, we have a handy script to restart the whole damn daemon because it hiccups every other day. Ever since a bad upgrade.

The new one sings along, and I moved all my ansible stuff to it. That interne did a good job with that projects.

But gitlab isn't Java in any way, don't know why Rich said that - he may have conflated gitlab with some other git*. Gitlab is ruby.

With this app, and actually all webapps running in interpreted frameworks, I support Rich's idea of running a prebuilt image in a container as an appliance. Just mount your storage into the appliance, and keep the database somewhere else. I've had too many screwups with updates - that ecosystem doesn't seem to care much for upgrade paths other than to make sure the dev could git pull daily and it would continue to work commit by commit :-)

Alan