Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2016-12-07, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Your problem is that the box seems to have not been updated in a
>> long while. That is always tricky.
> That's putting it mildly.  Gentoo works far, far better if you update
> frequently.  On most systems I update a couple times a week. Those
> systems have been mostly trouble free for many, many years.

Problem:

-> Updating weekly, as I used to do is a Good Idea, Agreed.

-> Updating frequently pulls in Nvidia Drivers.

-> Nvidia Drivers is seldom compatible with stale kernel versions.

-> It doesn't appear that updating the kernel module on the fly is easy
or possible for a number of reasons.
--> The commands for bumping live kernel modules is obscure and/or
difficult.
--> X11 would probably need to be shut down two which is equivalent to a
reboot on a desktop system anyway.

Solution: Attempt to determine a schedule for updates that is still
acceptably frequent without being annoying. In this case, it was 2 months...

Two Short, Measily, Stinking Months....

=|

--
Strange Game.