> It could be I found a bug. After a reboot it went from the normal enp0s1
> (or whatever) to eno1677789 or something ridiculous. I had this happen
> on two different machines.
Sounds like you have other problems than an init system with your
systems. Could be your PCIe stuff isn't working correctly

> For what it's worth, systemd works fine on my 11-year-old laptop. It had
> issues with my desktop (which is almost 9 years old now) but I really
> don't know if it was related to mdadm, or ??? I thought I had it figured
> out on my desktop but on reboot systemd wouldn't mark my IMSM mdadm
> array as clean leading to a disk thrashing every time I rebooted, making
> my computer almost unusable.

I don't see a strong relation between bugs in your RAID and systemd
itself. Maybe service files are buggy or wrong. But imagine, your
init-script has a bug? Stuff will certainly break.

Easy to blame things on something you don't like, I know.
I don't like every aspect of using systemd either. Still I have more
benefits than drawbacks from using it. Even the binary log files have
their benefits. Personally I make heavy use of `--boot -p err --since=
--unit" flags in journalctl to get logs I want without trying to figure
out the right grep pattern and wasting my time to get it right. And
still you can configure it to pass logs to rsyslog.

You can look at the bugtracker in udev if someone experiences random
if-name changes.

Cheers,
Andrej