On Sunday 05 Feb 2017 01:44:30 Dale wrote:

> Ask anyone, I'm different on the way I do USE flags, or I feel that
> way.  If I have a flag that I want enabled/disabled on basically
> everything that uses that flag, it goes in make.conf.  If I have a USE
> flag that I may need for just a few packages, or a single package, I put
> it in package.use.

The devs have already made that choice, though of course you don't have to
follow them.

> Basically, make.conf is the rule for USE flags.  Package.use is for
> exceptions to that rule.

Or, if the USE flag is documented in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc it's for
general application and you put it in make.conf, and if it's in
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc it applies to one or a few specific
packages and you put it in package.use.

Then you just have to decide how to arrange you package.use directory. This
is mine, in case it helps anyone:

# ls /etc/portage/package.use
boinc  firefox  firmware  iputils  qtwebengine  runtime-meta  xorg

# cat /etc/portage/package.use/xorg
media-libs/mesa         -vaapi
sys-devel/llvm          clang video_cards_radeon
x11-libs/libdrm         video_cards_radeon

# cat /etc/portage/package.use/boinc
app-emulation/virtualbox        additions extensions java python
x11-libs/wxGTK                  webkit

You can see I have all the USE flags affecting the xorg-x11 system in one file,
all those needed by boinc in another, and so on. In my usual top-down
approach I name each file by what it's for, not what's in it.

> As usual, do what makes the most sense to you.  I post this just in case
> this way may make sense, not that much of anything I do makes sense to
> anyone else.  ;-)

You're too modest...  :)

--
Regards