On 02/06/2017 01:55 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 02/06/2017 08:53:19 AM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> Are there any good replacement for "nx / nxclient" in Linux?
>> NX is long time gone from portage.  I hope, I can still install them
>> from atic.
>> This was another reason I wasn't upgrading for a long time as I need
>> them to access remote boxes in GUI.
>>

> I have net-misc/x2goclient (and net-misc/x2goserver) installed.
> But I think, x2goserver has to be installed on the remote system.

Yes, x2goserver needs to be installed on the remote system. But I do
believe you need something installed on the remote system to listen for
nx/vnc requests anyway.

I switched to x2goserver/x2goclient maybe two years ago from
xvnc/tigervnc as it was getting to be a real chore to install again
xorg-x11 at the time.

It has some benefits, one of them being it spawns a new session when you
log in, like Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Services on Windows -
meaning you don't attach to an existing user that's logged on.

It also has some downsides. As in not all desktops are fully supported.
I had to switch to MATE on the server for reliability issues. KDE5 is
not supported, as an example. They do support other desktops besides
MATE, it's just the one I stuck with. It does, however, feel
back-asswards compared to KDE, as a primarily KDE-user.

Dan