Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2017, 15:33:10 CET schrieb Andrew Lowe:
> Hi all,
Hi,

>       I'm still trying to come to grips with understanding ebuilds so please
> bear with me if this is a simple question. I've just sync'd and then
> done an
>
>       emerge --ask -NuD world
>
> I have LLVM/clang installed and upon browsing the updates saw
> app-vim/llvm-vim. This is some sort of syntax highlighting thingy for
> Vim. I don't have Vim installed so went into the llvm-4.0.0 ebuild and
> saw the line
>
> PDEPEND="app-vim/llvm-vim
>
> My understanding is that PDEPEND means that something, in this case
> llvm-vim, will be installed after the update of llvm - correct? If so, I
> can't see any way of "turning this off" as I don't want even more junk
> installed on my machine.
>
>       Have I understood the ebuild correctly and it could do with a "fiddle"
> so that it doesn't force this install?
>
>       Regards,
>               Andrew

well, I just asked in IRC on Freenode about that and a dev pointed out, that
the new dep for vim files is actually putting files *outside* the package to
avoid file collisions with slotted packages. So I took a look myself with
clang < 4.0 (needed on my system anyways thanks to rust):

% equery f llvm|grep vim
/usr/share/vim
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm-lit.vim
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm.vim
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/tablegen.vim

% du -ch $(equery f llvm|grep vim) 2> /dev/null
4,0K    /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm-lit.vim
8,0K    /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm.vim
4,0K    /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/tablegen.vim
16K     total

So well, 16KB in sum. Funny to see the “outsourced“ ebuild is exactly the same
size.

All in all I consider that way a bit ugly, but for this size I agree it’s
really wasted energy [and as the mentioned dev pointed out, discussing this
matter takes way more space than the issue itself].

Greetings,
--
GPG fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8  31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
Nils Freydank