Boot off of LiveCD, chroot, start repairing...

When I've hosed my system, I go back to the Gentoo Handbook:

 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

to get into the chroot.

Then look in the logs (/var/log/*) for hints...

Always a good idea to dispatch-conf, revdep-rebuild, revdep-rebuild.

So far I haven't hosed it bad enough to need a reinstall...

MySQL upgrade was painful, but the upgrade guide given
in the einfo worked perfectly (THANK YOU Doc Team!).

HTH,
Roy

Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:

My hole linux box has crashed !!!!
I made a system update yesterday with emerge -Du world....

it update my apache, mantis, nagios, bind, mysql..... today my hole
system is against me....
I think in reinstall the full system .... has any one got a better
idea, my backups are unavailable now ....