Dale schreef:
> Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
>
>> in order to build documentation. Remove the doc USE flag if you
>> don't want it to.
>>

> So the Kernel has documentation or is this the little help screen in
>  menuconfig?  I need that help screen.  I don't know what half that
> stuff is even with the help.
>
> Don't they have a new thing that we can override the USE for specific
>  packages in /etc/portage?  This would be a good time to use it if it
>  is not the help screen.  Maybe that was a future feature I was
> reading about.  ????

No, the "doc" USE flag is extra documentation,

 useflag doc
/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:doc - Adds extra documentation (API,
Javadoc, etc)

the 'help' screen you're talking about is part of the kernel. Removing
it doesn't remove internal help, like the kernel help, or man and info
pages-- those are *required*, and options subject to USE flags are
*optional*.

But if it will help, I don't use the "doc" flag either:

 [ebuild  NS   ]               sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.14  -build
-doc +symlink (-ultra1) 38,399 kB

And my kernel help works fine.

And what you're talking about w.r.t the overriding of USE flags is not
'a new thing' (though it may be new to you :-) ), it's a Portage feature.

You can create a file, called /etc/portage/package.use, which contains
such overrides; here's a snippet of mine:

sys-libs/glibc userlocales erandom glibc-compat20 glibc-omitfp
linuxthreads-tls
www-client/kazehakase-cvs estraier firefox thumbnail
www-client/mozilla-firefox mozsvg mozxmlterm
www-client/mozilla moznocompose moznoirc moznomail mozp3p mozplaintext
mozsvg mozxmlterm
www-client/galeon firefox
mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird mozplaintext
mail-client/sylpheed-claws clamav dillo
media-video/gxine -mozilla
dev-libs/gmime mono
dev-python/gnome-python-extras mozilla
net-libs/gecko-sdk mozsvg mozdevelop
dev-java/blackdown-jre mozilla
dev-java/blackdown-jdk mozilla
dev-java/sun-jre-bin mozilla

Read man portage for more details.

In any case, this feature allows you to override the USE flags for
specific packages, while leaving the flag active for the rest of the
packages that may use it.

So if I was someone who actually used the "mozilla" USE flag generally
(it was + in /etc/make.conf), gxine would build without it, but other
programs that use it would still build with it, because I only overrode
/etc/make.conf with respect to gxine, not all other programs-- and in
fact all my java installs and gnome-python extras will be built with the
flag active (because I specified that, too).

Keeps one from clogging up /etc/make.conf with anything but the
"essentials" (truly global settings).

Read man portage for more details; it's a wealth of information.

Holly