On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 05:49:34PM +1300, Penguin Lover Jamie squawked:
> I have since tried to unmerge openssh in the hope that this will allow
> me to at least get my system up to date but I get the following issue:
>
> Gir ~ # emerge --unmerge openssh
>

> !!! 'net-misc/openssh' is part of your system profile.
> !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.

> Press Ctrl-C to Stop in: 10 9
>
> I have removed sshd from all run levels, what else could be the issue here?

It means, openssh is part of 'system', a list of packages that are
deemed essential for the operation of your box by the gentoo-devs.
And usually it is a bad idea to unmerge anything in it, since it could
lead to serious breakage.

Also, I am under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that world
is a superset of system? So even if you do unmerge openssh, the fact
that it is in system will bring it back in when you issue 'emerge -uD
world'

If you just don't want to deal with openssh right now, you can issue:

  emerge --update --deep world; emerge --resume --skipfirst;

If everything else compiles fine, the first 'emerge' will stop when it
hits openssh which refuses to compile, and the second one will tell it
to continue after skipping openssh.

HTH

You will be attracted to an older, more experienced person!
    ~what appeared in a fortune cookie on 01-14-2002 to Daniel Jonathan Peng
     BTW, DJP was sixteen and three quarters...
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 54 days, 21:36