> > Hmm, so happens before I could emerge ssh2 had to
> > emerge -C openssh
>
> I think you'll find that most people use the
> programs from openssh.  I
> would suggest removing net-misc/ssh (again, assuming
> this is what you
> mean by "ssh2", since there is no ssh2 ebuild in the
> tree) and
> re-merging openssh.

Done.

But what's this bit at the end of the console o/p:

<snip>
>>> /usr/share/openssh/Ssh.bin
 * Remember to merge your config files in /etc/ssh/
and then
 * restart sshd: '/etc/init.d/sshd restart'.
 *
 * As of version 3.4 the default is to enable the
UsePrivelegeSeparation
 * functionality, but please ensure that you do not
explicitly disable
 * this in your configuration as disabling it opens
security holes
 *
 * This revision has removed your sshd user id and
replaced it with a
 * new one with UID 22.  If you have any scripts or
programs that
 * that referenced the old UID directly, you will need
to update them.
 *
 * Please be aware users need a valid shell in
/etc/passwd
 * in order to be allowed to login.
 *

<snip>

And what's this all got to do with ftp? All I ever
wanted to do was ftp files from one PC to another.
I've done it before. Very simple. I'd enter ftp
192.168.0.2(the address of the other box) at the
prompt on one box and find myself sitting at the door
to the home dir of the other box. Then I could use the
send command to pass over a file. IIRC there was never
any need for openssh or any kind of ssh.

-Maxim