Neil Bothwick wrote:

> --prune removed slotted packages, which are usually slotted for a reason.
> This not only applies to autocont, db etc. but also to things like the
> GNOME/GTK library packages in your list.
>
> If you want to find packages that are no longer needed, you should be
> using "emerge --depclean -p".

OK, I got this:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge --depclean -p
>
> *** WARNING ***  --depclean is known to be broken. It is highly
> recommended
> *** WARNING ***  that `emerge --update --newuse --deep world` be ran
> before
> *** WARNING ***  commencing. However, using --depclean may still break
> link
> *** WARNING ***  level consistency within your system. `revdep-rebuild`
> *** WARNING ***  from app-portage/gentoolkit can help to detect breakage.
> *** WARNING ***
> *** WARNING ***  Also study the list of packages to be cleaned for any
> *** WARNING ***  obvious mistakes. Packages can be manually added to the
> *** WARNING ***  world list by running `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.
> *** WARNING ***
> *** WARNING ***  It is normal for packages that are masked or listed in
> *** WARNING ***  package.provided to be removed by depclean.  These
> are the most
> *** WARNING ***  likely reasons that depclean will remove a package
> even though
> *** WARNING ***  it is in the world or system package set.  In order to
> *** WARNING ***  troubleshoot these types of problems, it is often
> helpful to
> *** WARNING ***  look at the output of `grep -r <atom> /etc/portage`.
> *** WARNING ***
> *** WARNING ***  Make sure you have a backup.

> [...]

I don't have gnome installed on here but I think something else uses
it.  Maybe it doesn't need it anymore.  I also use java but I think I
use the one from Sun that has the fetch restriction thing on it.  Just
to see if my thinking is right, should I do a equery depends <name of
each thing in the list> to make sure nothing needs it before I remove
it?  This doesn't pick up all the different versions of kernels.  I
still need to check the prune one I guess.  For that at least.

Gosh, 885 installed.  Holy molly.  That's a lot.

Thanks

Dale
:-)  :-)