Hello group,

As I expected it would, dispatch-conf
over-wrote/corrupted a lot of files without giving me
a chance to stop it. It left no log(file was empty)in
/var/log/dispatch-conf.log. or any record of its
passing that I can find.

Worst of all I can no longer dialout.
/dev/ttyS0(external modem on COM1) no longer exists
although in udev-rules the rule exists to create
/dev/ttyS*. But there is no such thing under /dev.
Attempts to dial-out lead to "unrecognized option
'dev/ttyS0'"

Speaking of udev, according to

http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html

the only thing I left out of my setup was

#rc-update add hotplug boot.

So I did it, but it didn't help. Under "PPP Device" on
that same page it says to

#mknod -m 660 /dev/ppp c 108 0

But that didn't work either.

FWIW this all took place after emerge
baselayout-1.12.5-r1 which issued a warning to

/bin/ls /etc/init.d/net.* | grep -v '/net.lo$' | xargs
-n1 ln -svfn net.lo

Could that have done it?

Also /dev/parport0 no longer exists, or /dev/lp*.

Further, could it be this has nothing to do with
dispatch-conf at all. Afterall, a check of /etc/*conf
shows many files with the timestamp corresponding to
emerge baselayout's timestamp in portage. I didn't run
#dispatch-conf for another 5 mins after that.

-Maxim