Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:47:12 -0600 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Is this possible withou really negative impact of some sort.

> If this is a question (please clarify a bit, and use question marks
> when appropriate!):  Of course it has a negative impact -- opposed to
> built-in storage, which should be faster than network based storage :-)

I guess it was phrased awkwardly, but did you not see the rest of the
post? <==

 (Posted here again for clarity)

   Install as many HDD as mobo allows maybe adding a few more with pci
   controllsers. (all sata if possible)

   Install Gentoo as host OS on a smallish partition or drive.  Mount
   all remaining drives as CIFS mounts accessable from samba or smb
   from host or windowsXP clients.  All this over gigabit ethernet.

> But if you have Windows clients, that's almost the only option you
> have. Well, you could go with WebDAV, but I wouldn't recommend that,
> it's most probably not nearly as stable as Samba.

> Even for Linux/Unix clients (given they have proper CIFS/SMB support)
> Samba is a capable option for a networked file system.

Rephrasing the question:  Will it work to mount a hosts (gentoo host)
native onboard drives as cifs mounts only.  These drives would all be
formatted NTFS

(unless someone can tell me there is a linux format that
will be as fast when dealing with huge video files.  And will not
introduce some problem when trnaferring between NTFS on a client and
whatever format on the gentoo box)

I don't want to dink around with mounting as NTFS because of poor or
non existent or illegal linux support for NTFS.

The gentoo host would have its own partition or drive and would serve
as a NAS for the other NTFS drives.

So once again the question is can gentoo have its native drives (not
the OS drive) formatted as NTFS and mounted only as cifs mounts on the
same machine?

> OTOH, there's Windows SFU, which you can use to mount NFS shares, but I
> heard it's a pain in the *** to set it up.

You heard right.  I've done it but it took a while and far as I know
there is some inherent bottleneck with NFS moving huge files anyway.
(That is hearsay since I did not try it when I had that setup.  I
didn't have the need to move huge files then)