On Monday 05 February 2007 22:41, Dale wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> >> Calculating dependencies... done!
> >> [ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.6-r2 [3.5.5-r7] USE="acl alsa
> >> arts cups doc fam jpeg2k spell ssl tiff -avahi -debug -kdeenablefinal
> >> -kdehiddenvisibility -kerberos -legacyssl -lua -openexr -utempter
> >> -xinerama -zeroconf" LINGUAS="-he" 15,186 kB
> >> [ebuild     U ] kde-base/kate-3.5.6 [3.5.5-r1] USE="arts -debug
> >> -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" 23,589 kB
> >
> > That version works fine.
>
> Well, I'm trying to mask this so it will not upgrade when I do updates.
> I must be missing something here.  When I did the pretend downgrade it
> pulled kdelibs down one version too.  So I want to make it so that
> kdelibs and kate will stay at 3.5.5 versions.  This is what I added to
>
> package.mask:
> > =kde-base/kate-3.5.6
> > =kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.6-r2
>
> That way if there is a new release it will upgrade and hopefully it will
> be fixed.  However, this is what happens when I check for updates:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge -uvDp world
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating world dependencies \
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "~kde-base/kate-3.5.6" have been
> > masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - kde-base/kate-3.5.6 (masked by: package.mask)
> >
> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> > page or
> > refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> > (dependency required by "kde-base/kdebase-meta-3.5.6" [ebuild])
> >

> Do I need to mask kde-meta too or is there some other way around this??
> < scratches head >

Bringing kde-meta up to version 3.5.6 is going to want to upgrade ALL it's
dependencies to 3.5.6 (which includes kate).

To maintain different versions of of the various KDE packages, you'll need
remove the kde-meta package.  To make sure 'emerge -u world' (or a
variant),
pulls in new version of other packages, you'll want to 'emerge -n' the
various direct dependencies of kde-meta (kdenetwork-meta etc).

I doubt kate is a direct dependency of kde-meta (I could be wrong).  If it
isn't, one (or more) of the other kde${stuff}-meta packages will also try
upgrade it.  Instead of 'emerge -n'-ing those packages, 'emerge -n' it's
direct dependencies (one of which should be kate).

You may actually find some packages that you don't care about, feel free to
not 'emerge -n' them.  They will then not be updated by an 'emerge -u
world'
and my be removed be 'emerge --depclean' (unless they are a dependency of
some other package in world)

In fact, I recently removed all the kde${stuff}-meta packages from my
system
and only installed the KDE applications I wanted.  This might result in
significant disk space savings, but YMMV.  I now have ~90 packages from the
kde-base category instead of the ~350 pulled in by kde-meta.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))