Dear developers, and users of Gentoo Linux,

    I'm quite experienced Linux and Gentoo user (user, not developer).
On my Gentoo box there are three possible bugs - or not bugs, just
configuration or other things - that annoys me.

    I'm using the latest software found in Portage tree. The first Gnome
issue: I like to enjoy start icons on my Gnome panels (next to System
menu). Everything is ok, I put Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, Xchat icons
on the panel...etc, then I log out of Gnome (using the standard and o.k.
way, system -> log out).
When I log in back, those icons disappear. What is more annoying, none
of them, just some of them. I don't know what mechanism drives that, now
my Computer, Home folder and Terminal icons are consistent, they doesnt
disappear, every other icons disappear. Remember I'm talkin about
startup icons that I put there by hand from the Gnome menu. The tray
icons, clock, mixer, etc etc is working flawlessly. All in all, is it a
possible Gnome bug that should be announced on bugs.gentoo.org (or the
upstream Gnome bug tracker), or have I just messed up something?
    On the start, I installed Gnome-Light, then I removed that
metapackage and emerged gnome. After that Gnome worked, but this icon
annouyig bug appeared. I tried to clean up my home for config files and
folders, then log in again, but did not help.

    Other. Portage. I have set some USE flags globally in make.conf and
other package-specific USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use.

make.conf:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/
ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/
http://mirrors.ludost.net/gentoo/ ftp://mirrors.ludost.net/gentoo/
http://ftp.linux.ee/pub/gentoo/distfiles/
ftp://ftp.linux.ee/pub/gentoo/distfiles/
http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://files.gentoo.org
http://files.gentoo.org "
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
USE="ogg vorbis dbus png svg tiff wmf gif -unicode -berkdb -gdbm apache2
cups mp3 jpg jpeg mmx sse sse2 alsa dvd dvdread jpeg opengl win32codecs
xvid quicktime ffmpeg mpeg xine firefox mad xv X -qt3 -qt4 -qt -kde
-arts gtk gnome hal avahi nsplugin"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv"
INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard"
LINGUAS="hu en"
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

package.use:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.use
gnome-base/gnome-session branding
net-dns/avahi dbus
media-video/vlc wxwindows
media-plugins/audacious-plugins wma
media-libs/sdl-mixer vorbis
media-libs/sdl-image png
app-cdr/gnomebaker dvdr flac vorbis
net-print/cups dbus
net-fs/samba swat
media-gfx/gimp gimpprint
dev-lang/php zip xml mysql bzip2 -ncurses
dev-lang/python gdbm
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

Above there are my config files. As you can see, there are several
global and several package specific USE flags set. When I'm doing
"emerge -pve world", I can see that it wants to rebuild every packages
on the system (that is normal) but I can see that it wants to use the
changed USE flags! emerge -N world dont want to do this? What's going on?

Some examples from emerge -pve world:

ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/eog-2.16.2  USE="jpeg -debug -lcms" 1,028 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.3.3  USE="X gnome opengl -debug -doc
-joystick -odbc -sdl -unicode*" 18,519 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/deskbar-applet-2.16.2-r1  USE="-debug -eds
-spell" 603 kB
[ebuild   R   ] mail-client/evolution-2.8.2.1  USE="crypt dbus* hal ipv6
ssl -bogofilter -debug -doc -kerberos -krb4 -ldap -mono -nntp -pda
-profile -spell" 12,619 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.3.0.5  USE="X jpeg mpeg perl
png* tiff* wmf* zlib -bzip2 -doc -fpx -graphviz -gs -jbig -jpeg2k -lcms
-nocxx -truetype -xml" 5,259 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/libgda-1.2.3  USE="-berkdb* -debug -doc
-firebird -freetds -ldap -mdb -mysql -oci8 -odbc -postgres -sqlite
-xbase" 1,051 kB

As this email is clear text, I cannot mark, but from the USE flags, it
is obvious that Portage now considers all my USE flag demands, although
emerge -pvN world don't. That is what I don't understand.

Is this a possible Portage bug, or I just messed up something?

Some other config files:

ganja gyuszk # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
x11-plugins/desklet-ftb ~x86
x11-plugins/desklet-weeklycalendar ~x86
net-im/amsn
app-emulation/wine ~x86
ganja gyuszk #

My whole system was rebuilt (emerge -e system, emerge -e world) with the
make.conf above. Only USE flags was changed.

Gnome again. Then I click System, administration, gdm setting (My gnome
is hungarian, I don't know what is it called exactly in english),
nothing happens. It tries to grant privileges as I can see on taskbar,
but nothing happens. I tried to adjust "privilege granting" setting in
gnome options, didnt help.

All in all:

- gnome: icons disappear, privilege granting doesnt work
- portage: USE flags are not considered the right way.

Are these issues bugs, or config, or anything else?

Any kind of help, or comments are welcome.

Thank you all in advance!