Xavier Parizet wrote:
> I think that the /usr/src/linux symlink is used in Gentoo by ebuilds (as
> vmware-modules for example) that build kernel modules for specific
> hardware which aren't yet in the kernel, and so needs to know the current
> kernel config to see if it match their dependencies or requirements.

This is true. I have personally found however that the USE flag symlink is
annoying, since I rarely upgrade the kernel when the sources become
available. Anything that needs to know where the currently running sources
are gets tripped over if an update has changed the symlink before I've
bothered to compile the new kernel.

The real problem comes when you change the flag, and then emerge -uDN world
tries to rebuild the sources pkg with the new use flag. This was the
motivation for the no-rebuild array (nr) in this script:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html

Sorry didn't mean to get a plug in ;)