On Wednesday 30 May 2007 19:26, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 21:16:18 Mat Harris wrote:
> > > Don't use --nodeps. That would just make a mess out of [your] system.
> > > If you've installed split kde (kde-meta) then why are you trying to
> > > install monolithic kde packages? I.e. why are you trying to install
> > > kdebase rather than kdebase-meta and kdepim rather than kdepim-meta?
> > > And why are you installing either of those at all when they have
> > > already been pulled in by kde-meta?
> > >
> > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
> >
> > Aah ok well the howto i found on google didn't mention anything about
> > using meta packages for the apps once i had the base installed. This
> > could explain why I have spent the last week compiling stuff for kde ;)
>
> Well, you only need meta packages if you want to install everything that
> ships together upstream. You could just emerge the split packages you want
> such as e.g. konqueror, kcontrol, etc..
>
> > Ok i'll probably re-install unless there's some easy way to clean up.
>
> There certainly is an easier way than reinstalling for this issue. What
> you've posted thus far actually suggests that you haven't made a mess out
> of your system yet as it showed kdepim and kdebase as not yet installed. In
> that case you just need to stop trying to install monolithic packages.

I have stopped as soon as I read that last email :)

> Otherwise you need to unmerge the monolithic packages you've installed
> with --nodeps and remerge the split packages that they've overwritten. Code
> Listing 3.1 in the above document shows you how to get the name of the
> packages any monolithic package would overwrite.

I am don't seem to have installed many monlithic packages, mainly just trying
to do kdepim, i did have kdegames but i've got rid of that.

So from now on I should always install a package with "-meta" if its from kde
(providing one is available eg. kdevelop)?

> E.g. if you've emerged kdebase-meta and kdebase at the same time and you
> want to stick with split packages you can do this:
>
> # emerge -Cva kdebase
> # function die() { echo $@; }
> # source $(portageq portdir)/eclass/kde-functions.eclass
> # emerge --oneshot -va $(get-child-packages kde-base/kdebase)

I don't have kdebase, just kdebase-meta. But i've spent a while compiling kde
stuff. I will keep checking for others.

Thanks

Mat Harris