On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:55:35 -0400
Randy Barlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dan Farrell wrote:
> > Sounds like a fun project.  Have you considered trying to get it to
> > run without a har drive at all?  I bet a server could provide NFS
> > many times faster than the hard drive...
>
> Yeah, old hardware is fun to tinker with :)  I got this machine for
> free from my roommate so I figure what the heck, let's put Gentoo on
> it! That does sound like a cool idea - hadn't thought of trying NFS.
> How would one do something like that?  I imagine you still need a
> harddrive in there to get the boot process going (to start up grub)
> and then you could configure grub to do the rest of the NFS stuff?
> This box doesn't offer anything else like PXE, booting from USB.  It
> doesn't even have a CD-ROM or a floppy.  Just a hard drive!
>
> - --
> Randy Barlow
> http://electronsweatshop.com

First off I wanted to point out that this looks like a Pentium-class
processor, not 386 or 486.  While I'm sure it will happily act like a
{3|4}86, it will also probably happily work as a pentium-mmx.  I have
never put gentoo on a 486 but I know it will work on a pentium farily
well.

If you cannot net-boot with PXE, you'll need to boot from something; I
guess the hard drive is the only choice.  All you'll need on the hard
drive is grub, the kernel, and, optionally, any initial ramdisks or
anything you require, or splash images, etc -- in short, the contents
of the boot partition, and no more.

Then you can create a directory for the installation on an NFS-capable
server somewhere, and unzip the stage3, and chroot.  You should be able
to build for a pentium-type machine on any modern system, as long as it
has 32-bit support.

The next step is to configure the kernel to be able to automatically
configure IP networking at boot time, and to allow the root fs on NFS,
both in their respective categories in menuconfig.  There is also a
netboot.txt (i think...) file in the kernel Documentation that can
explain the command-line syntax for specifying that the kernel boot
with an NFS root and configure IP networking at boot time.

Finally, you build the kernel, and the rest of the system, and then
stick grub and the kernel image on the hard drive and you should be
good to go!

Your NFS server will have to provide the filesystem, so you'll have to
set up an NFS file share.  That's easy.  Since you can't net-boot (that
is, recieve kernel and such with TFTP through the PXE stuff) you won't
need a TFTP server.  You can use a static IP address, but if not,
you'll need a dhcp server.

If you want more help with net booting, just say so.  Ive done it
several times now.

Another nice thing about this configuration is that as long as the  NFS
server can execute the same code as the diskless client (that is the
processor in the server is more capable and not less), then you can
build the system, and any packages thereafter, on the server and not on
your super-slow off-brand pseudo-pentium ; )  I don't think i need to
tell you how much nicer that will be for you.

Best of luck,
        Dan