On Friday 22 June 2007, Dale wrote:
> I'm not using noatun, it appears that that is what KDE is using or
>
> something.  See this:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # equery depends kdemultimedia
> > [ Searching for packages depending on kdemultimedia... ]
> > kde-base/noatun-plugins-3.5.7 (~kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.7)
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

It would appear that you have installed the kdemultimedia package.
That's a monlithic one, and it WILL install noatun, which requires
arts. if that's the case, the only way out I'm afraid is the long way
round - unmerge kdemultimedia, and merge kdemultimedia-meta with
USE="-arts xine"

> For some reason, KDE is REQUIRING arts and noatun on my system.  I
> have no idea why.  Also, since removing arts, I can not get some
> thing to emerge because the arts flag has been removed.  I posted the
> error earlier.  Maybe it was noatun.  I know KDE was complaining that
> it could not find it when I had no sound at all though.  Which is why
> I told it to use mplayer.  Now it is just slow to play a sound and
> some sounds don't work at all.

KDE works just fine without arts & noatun, with amarok, alsa and a
decent sound card. That's how mine is set up and it's been like that
since, oh I dunno, 3.5? So it can be gotten to work with a minimum of
effort.

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,