On Monday 04 February 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > [blocks B     ] kde-base/ksync (is blocking
> > kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r10)
>
> I think somebody has mentioned this before ksync is part of the new
> kdelibs so unmerge it to merge the new kdelibs.
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde-expat-upgrading.xml

Maybe I should explain a bit more in detail how the OP should fix this,
as finding kde blockers between the -meta and monolithic ebuilds is not
a cut and dried process.

First, I assume he has read the emerging KDE howto on the gentoo docs
site, and understands the difference between -meta ebuilds, monolithic
ebuilds and package ebuilds. There's not much to indicate which is
which except that the -meta ebuilds have -meta in their name. Over time
I have learned which are the packages distributed by kde.org and now
recognize them by name. The monolithic ebuilds must then be the same
without the -meta name. So, everything else is probably a package
ebuild.

Golden rule: You cannot mix these types, you must use one or the other.
To determine blockers, there's no command I know of that does
eg "equery blocks <package>" so I resort to good old grep:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ grep -r ksync /var/portage/kde-base/*/*ebuild | grep
kdelibs
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.7-r1.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.7-r2.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.7-r3.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.8.ebuild:     !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.8-r1.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.8-r2.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"
/var/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.5.8-r3.ebuild:  !kde-base/ksync"

So, kdelibs will not install along with ksync. Now to determine what
installs ksync:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ equery depends ksync
[ Searching for packages depending on ksync... ]

No results. Bugger. That means I don't have ksync installed, so equery
can't find the info for me. Time to search the tree (this is slooooow).
So one cup of coffee later:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ equery depends -a ksync
[ Searching for packages depending on ksync... ]
app-pda/syncekonnector-0.3_pre20060117 (=kde-base/ksync-3.5*)
app-pda/syncekonnector-0.3.2 (=kde-base/ksync-3.5*)
kde-base/kdepim-meta-3.5.5 (~kde-base/ksync-3.5.5)
kde-base/kdepim-meta-3.5.6 (~kde-base/ksync-3.5.6)

OK, Now we are getting there. kdepim-meta will install all sub-packages
of kdepim. syncekonnector (probably part of kdepim-meta too) will also
install ksync. Plus, kdepim (monolithic) will install all the same
files as kdepim-meta, but not as individual packages. On to solutions
for the OPs problem:

Don't merge ksync, do merge kdepim.
Convert to the -meta ebuilds and emerge ksync.

This last is a lot of effort but worth it. I did it by running "eix kde"
and listing what I had, unmerge the monolithic ebuilds and merge the
corresponding -meta ones. It's an iterative process, I had to go back
and find more stuff to unmerge once or twice.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com