Joerg Schilling schrieb:
Daniel Pielmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So you successfully unmerged cdrkit, dvd+rw-tools and kino. The
installation of cdrtools fails because of a broken symlink. I guess the
/usr/include/scsilib/scg symlink to usr/include/scsilib/usal has not
been removed with cdrkit and is now broken and the cdrtools installation
can not overwrite the link. If the output is really red it is indeed a
broken symlink and you can safely remove it, then try to install
cdrtools again or use the proposed commands.

Mmmm, cdrtools may create a directory /usr/include/scg/ but the text /scsilib/
is nowhere in cdrtools.

In Gentoo scg is installed under /usr/include/scsilib

Here a snippet from the ebuild:

insinto /usr/include/scsilib/scg
doins include/scg/*.h

/usr/include/scsilib/scg -> /usr/include/scsilib/usal is a symlink used
by cdrkit. It was not removed when the package manager uninstalled
cdrkit. At least I think so, as this does not happen here but maybe with
older versions I don't use.

When installing cdrtools the package manager wants to create the
directory /usr/include/scsilib/scg which fails as the broken symlink is
still in place.

It should be no problem to install kino again as cdrkit provides the
same functionality like cdrtools, besides the different amount of

There is no active development in cdrkit, so cdrkit does not provide new features. If cdrkit did not change libscg in a way that prevents some usage, you could treat cdrkit like a 3 year old version of cdrtools.

I don't know how much work really happens with cdrkit as I don't follow
the progress there. It seems however you have done more work on cdrtools
than what happened on cdrkit besides finalizing star 1.5.

By the way I for myself say many thanks for cdrtools. I don't care much
about the license as long it is not closed source and I can use it
within my OS. I just care about the quality of the code.

development that happens on both projects. But i think there was no need
to remove kino at all when switching to cdrtools, because it has no
dependency on both apps.

This is correct.

I don't know kino but from looking at freshmeat, it seems that kino has no relation to cdrtools. Or does kino call "mkisofs"?

You are right, it depends on dvd+rw-tools maybe because of this the OP
has removed it from his system temporarily along with cdrkit and
dvd+rw-tools.

Regards,

Daniel