On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Thanks. That is sort of what I thought but I felt it best to ask
>>> first. It seems I have python oriented things in my world file that
>>> I'm not clear need to be there. One is python-updater. I'll emerge
>>> python first and then return to look at how emerge -DuN world would
>>> proceed.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Not quite there yet.  After you emerge the new python, run the python
>> updater and let it update/re-emerge whatever it needs to.  You really need
>> to run the updater tool.  It looks for packages that will still depend on
>> the old python and rebuild them so they will work with the new one.
>>
>> If you emerge the new python and unmerge the old python, some things may not
>> work, including portage.
>>
>> After you get that sorted out, then you can do the other updates.
>>
>> Make sense?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> It's almost exactly the question I Came back to ask. Thanks.
>
> I finished the python emerge and saw the message about running
> python-updater. Before doing that I tried the emerge -pvDuN
> python-updater and saw it still wanted me to remove the old python. I
> am running python-updater (the old version) now. After that's done
> it's then OK for me to emerge -C the older version of python by hand
> and proceed with the emerge -DuN python-updater operation?
>
> I am getting messages about packages now being masked, such as:
>
>  * Adding to list: =games-board/pysol-sound-server-3.01
>  * Adding to list: =dev-tcltk/snack-2.2.10

> Calculating dependencies -
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0-r1" have
> been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> - dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0-r1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
>
> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
> refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>
> dragonfly ~ # eix -I pygtk
> [D] dev-python/pygtk
>     Available versions:  (2)  2.10.6 2.12.0 ~2.12.0-r1 ~2.12.1 ~2.12.1-r2
>        {X doc examples opengl}
>     Installed versions:  2.12.0-r1(2)["proaudio"
> /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio](19:14:20 01/01/08)(opengl -doc
> -examples)
>     Homepage:            http://www.pygtk.org/
>

> Do I need to unmask these things by hand to make forward progress?
> (Either that or do an emerge -C to remove them and then let an emerge
> -DuN world/revdep-rebuild catch them...) It seems strange to me that
> an emerge -DuN system operation is leading me to do things that don't
> have anything to do with the system. I'm pretty sure that package is
> used for a game and just getting caught in this general python-updater
> [...]

Humm. I seem to be stuck at this one. python-updater is complaining
about vte which is used by gnome and gnome-terminal. I tried unmasking
vte in package.keywords but I still get the same error:

 * Adding to list: =games-board/pysol-sound-server-3.01
 * Adding to list: =dev-tcltk/snack-2.2.10

Calculating dependencies \
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=x11-libs/vte-0.16.12" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-libs/vte-0.16.12 (masked by: )

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

dragonfly ~ # equery depends vte
[ Searching for packages depending on vte... ]
gnome-base/gnome-2.20.3 (>=x11-libs/vte-0.16.12)
x11-terms/gnome-terminal-2.18.4 (>=x11-libs/vte-0.15.3)
dragonfly ~ #

It seems that the developers have deleted the version on my machine
from portage:

dragonfly ~ # eix x11-libs/vte
[U] x11-libs/vte
     Available versions:  0.16.8 0.16.13 (~)0.16.14 {debug doc opengl python}
     Installed versions:  0.16.12(08:52:33 02/24/08)(opengl python -debug -doc)
     Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org/

dragonfly ~ #

I tried building 0.6.14 and got a sandbox violation.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mark