http://bugs.gentoo.org/181029

> Next, I want to use sensord for monitoring, so I modified
> package.use and tried it once more:
> ____________________________
>
> # echo "sys-apps/lm_sensors sensord" >> /etc/portage/package.use
> # emerge --pretend lm_sensors
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
> ">=x11-libs/cairo-1.4.6[svg]".
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> - x11-libs/cairo-1.8.6-r1 (Change USE: +svg)
> (dependency required by "net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.3.8" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "sys-apps/lm_sensors-2.10.7" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "lm_sensors" [argument])
> ____________________________
>
> Now I do not understand it at all. Why rrdtool? All I want
> to use sensord for is to have some status messages recorded
> to syslog. Why should I install that x11-libs/cairo graphics
> library and rrdtool stuff???

Likely sensord does a lot more than recording to syslog.

rrdtools is used as a database but also used to build graphs from its
database, which probably explains cairo.  Cairo is a graphics library
that can render to multiple devices including X11.

If you want you can submit a patched ebuild for rrdtool that maybe uses
a cairo USE flag and clearly separates the graphics system from the
database system.  You'll probably need to work closely with upstream for
that.

If you want you can submit a patched ebuild for cairo that maybe uses an
X use flag that clearly separates the X11 rendering backend from the
others.  You'll probably need to work closely with upstream for that.

-a