Neil Bothwick wrote on 24/10/09 09:53:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 02:02:16 +0200, Dave Jones wrote:

>> Alan, thank you for your 'RTFM' reply. which is utterly useless either
>> to me or any other follower of the gentoo-user mail group.

> Seeing as how this has been discussed in the last two days, I don't see
> how Alan's advice is useless. The question has been asked and people have
> taken the time and trouble to answer it. Why should they do it again when
> you could just as easily find the previous answer yourself.

Another 'RTFM' message, thanks.

I'll answer my own question, including detail which may be useful to
other users:

emerge PyQt with USE=webkit sql

I had installed a few kde-meta packages rather than the full kde-meta.

eix -I kde | grep meta      list your installed kde-meta packages

Add the kde4 versions of those meta packages to package.mask:

(Sample) package.mask to mask kde4:

=kde-base/kdeaddons-meta-4*
=kde-base/kdeadmin-meta-4*
=kde-base/kdeartwork-meta-4*
=kde-base/kdebase-meta-4*
=kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta-4*
=kde-base/kdeutils-meta-4*
# Mask non-meta kde installed package:
=kde-base/kdenetwork-filesharing-4*
# Requires kdelibs-4, mask
=media-video/kmplayer-0.11*
# Required by kde4, requires mysql by default.
app-office/akonadi-server