On 10/28/2009 5:39 PM, Dale wrote:
Marcus Wanner wrote:
On 10/28/2009 04:01 AM, Dale wrote:
Mick wrote:
To read your PCI connected devices you need:

lspci -v

HTH.
That is the key command in my opinion.  That will tell you what driver
it is using for what device.  If it works while booted on the Live CD,
then that driver is most likely what you need.  Take the name of the
driver, then search for it in menuconfig.  You hit the "/" key to
search.  Its like the ? key without hitting shift.  It should show you
exactly where the driver is located so you can go enable it.  Then you
just recompile the kernel and copy it to /boot.

This is what the output should look like:

01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
MBit (rev 31)
        Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]
        Memory at df002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 88100000 [disabled] [size=256K]
        Kernel driver in use: dmfe

The last line is the key.  If I were searching for that driver, I would
search for dmfe and enable it as built in or a module.

If that command doesn't show the driver, then you may need to start with
some of the other commands to see what you can test to get it working.

Dale

:-) :-)
I booted up the livecd and ran lspci -v, it worked great. I got
similar output to that above, and found out that I am using a "3Com
Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)" and that "Kernel driver
in use: 3c59x". Great! Only problem was that when I went to look for
that driver in menuconfig, all I found were two other drivers for
similar cards (one of which had "[Typhoon]" in the name).

However, I enabled those drivers, recompiled, rebooted, and everything
works great. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, I have never had such great technical support before. I am
really amazed that within 12 hours, I had about 3 different ways of
fixing this, and was able to have it up and running within 45 minutes
of checking my email this morning. Wonderful!

Marcus

Now I'm confused.  I did a search here as well and it returned nothing
matching that driver.  This is a first for me.  Has anyone else ever
searched for a driver when you have the exact name and not get a match
when the driver is actually there?  I did a manual search and the driver
is there. Glad you got the network working tho.
Dale

:-) :-)
Yeah, I guess it's because you have to download that particular driver separately?

Marcus