On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010 22:10:05 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    Mostly in support of (I think) KDE I have poppler installed which
>> seems to cause eix-test-obsolete a little indigestion. It sees
>> virtual/poppler as installed but says they are not in the database.
>>
>>    Do I have a problem here (eix-test-obsolete itself or my use of it,
>> use flags, some sort of database problem, etc.) or is this some sort
>> of ebuild problem that will likely get worked out over the next few
>> weeks?
>
> I saw this a few days ago.
>
> virtual/poppler is not in portage anymore. We now just have regular poppler,
> xpdf, et al.
>
> Just remove poppler from world if you have it there - you shouldn't, it's a
> lib and should be pulled in by everything that DEPENDs on it.
>
> Latest masked portage deals with this kind of nonsense nicely. If you use an
> old portage, you may have to unmerge what you have and remerge the real one.
>
> FWIW, poppler is one of those packages seemingly run by an insane idiot. Every
> new minor point version seems to block the one before it, implying API/ABI
> breaks across minor versions. Which is thick beyond belief. It's a problematic
> package and one that I seemed to umerge/merge often in the pre-portage-2.2
> days
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Alan,
   poppler isn't in my world file:

firefly ~ # cat /var/lib/portage/world | grep poppler
firefly ~ #

and I seem to be using the newest portage-2.2_rc62 although a slightly
older portage-utils-0.2.1

   Are you suggesting the I unmerge poppler and then do a
revdep-rebuild (or emerge -DuN @world) to get it reinstalled without
this problem? Easy enough if it works, but even if it works it seems
something is brokern and before I destroy the symptom I thought I'd
ask a couple of questions.

   I've read a couple of bug reports that echo your thoughts about the package.

Thanks,
Mark