On 22 February 2010 06:49, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 February 2010 17:01:13 Willie Wong wrote:

>> > Yes and I ran dispatch-conf for a couple of changes.  However, nothing
>> > that I recall was related to encryption:
>> >
>> >      Sat Feb 20 08:05:50 2010 >>> media-libs/jpeg-8
>> >      Sat Feb 20 08:20:29 2010 >>> media-sound/phonon-4.3.80-r1
>> >      Sat Feb 20 08:36:37 2010 >>> media-libs/tiff-3.9.2
>> >      Sat Feb 20 08:39:24 2010 >>> media-libs/libquicktime-1.1.3
>> >      Sat Feb 20 08:42:15 2010 >>> media-libs/gd-2.0.35-r1
>> >
>> > Anything else I could look into?
>>
>> Then I am kind of out of ideas. You mentioned that you remerged gnupg:
>> was there any warnings or logs at the end of the merge? (If you have
>> it enabled, the logs maybe stored in /var/log/portage/elog/)
>>
>> You say that smime and openpgp fails, do you have the error message?
>> It may help other people who know more about this to answer your
>> question.
>
> Thanks again for your help.  The problem seems to be with pinentry when gpg is
> invoked manually:
>
> gpg: problem with the agent: No pinentry
>
> and then as a consequence:
>
> gpg: public key decryption failed: General error
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
>
> However, I have remerged pinentry.  :-(
>
> Initially, I thought this was related to updating media-libs/jpeg-8 and
> library libjpeg.so.7, but it seems that it may be related to qt3 becoming
> deprecated?  Perhaps I should unmask app-crypt/pinentry-0.7.6 which has qt4 in
> its USE flags and try with that?
>
> Meanwhile I just resync'ed and there's a load of kde-4.3.5 updates.  Perhaps I
> was cought up in some major update bonanza and that's why this broke.  I'll
> finish the update and see how it goes.

This is rather debilitating ... I have now update pinentry to 0.7.6
and I still have the same problem.  :-(

I may have to restore my system from a back up just to access my
encrypted data, which is something I'd rather not have to do after a
mammoth kde update.

The elog of pinentry shows this, but I am not sure I understand what
it means, or if it is related to my problem.

======================================

>>> Messages generated by process 10763 on 2010-02-24 07:01:34 GMT for package a
pp-crypt/pinentry-0.7.6:

LOG: postinst
We no longer install pinentry-curses and pinentry-qt SUID root by default.
Linux kernels >=2.6.9 support memory locking for unprivileged processes.
The soft resource limit for memory locking specifies the limit an
unprivileged process may lock into memory. You can also use POSIX
capabilities to allow pinentry to lock memory. To do so activate the caps
USE flag and add the CAP_IPC_LOCK capability to the permitted set of
your users.

Since invoking gpg on the CLI does not ask for a passphrase and it returns:

  gpg: problem with the agent: No pinentry

I assume that the problem is with pinentry.  Is there some other
application involved here that I should look into?
--
Regards,
Mick