On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:41 PM, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> > <volkerar...@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerar...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Mittwoch 24 Februar 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> >     > I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
> >     > important to me.  I have remained out of pure inertia.
> >     > I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu.  All I
> >     need from
> >     > any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for
> multiple
> >     > desktops. I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and
> >     > documentation toolchains or in a browser.
> >     >
> >     > The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me
> >     from running
> >     > out of disk space.  A little research showed that an
> >     odd-sounding thing
> >     > called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles.
> >      It turns out
> >     > to be a KDE client - whatever that is.  I've got a lot of space
> >     here and
> >     > there, but my /home partition was never near full before.
> >     >
> >     > I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences.  I'm
> >     seriously
> >     > entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo
> >     system,
> >     > although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of
> >     their games.
> >     > Similarly for gnome.  But I wonder what I should do about the rest.
> >     >
> >     > Ideas?
> >
> >     just deactivate it.
> >
> >     But one thing surprises me - I have 400gb of data in /home. And
> >     nepomuk just
> >     needs 600mb...
> >
> > Okay, but I don't really know what it is, let alone how to deactivate
> > it.  I'll search around.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
> >
> Kevin
>
> To deactivate it:
>
> System Settings >  Desktop Search > [De-select] Enable Nepomuk Semantic
> Desktop
>
> In my case, on the same page, I disabled Strigi also.
>
> Damien Sticklen
>
> Thanks.  My having research work with a few hundred thousand small files
and a couple of terrabytes of storage and backups could account for the
size.  Some occasional sluggishness too.  It makes no sense to index any of
this, so ditching it feels good.

For anyone else in the same boat, I would amend the instructions thus:

System Settings >  Advanced > Desktop Search > [De-select] Enable Nepomuk
Semantic
Desktop

Again, thanks.

--