Hello everyone!

The following is a copy of an email I sent to the AGS. I'd like some input
from the general population on this subject as well:

I'd like to take this opportunity to promote the naming of the LDEH Pied to
"Honey Cream." I first came across the description and name of this variant
in the GML FAQ, Revision 14, link 7.3.

"Honey Cream
This is just the honey with pied markings. However, the pied gene has such a
dramatic effect when combined with the honey that I think it deserves its
own name. Babies appear to be white when they first get their coats, with
possibly a pale streak of gold down the back. As they get older the gold on
the back becomes more noticeable, and faint gold markings resembling a
collie dog can be seen on the face and head. The gold color shades into the
white on the sides with no discrete color boundary. The skin is dark under
the white fur and the eyes are black.
Contributed by Sharon Kahn
Gerbil FAQ  Revision 14"

I have a Red Eyed Honey Cream gerbil. Now that it is getting on into summer,
I'll be taking more photos. Natural sunlight works best for showing the true
colors of the gerbils coats.

My breeding experience shows that this color variant is invariably Cch or
cb. My own strain of Honey Cream gerbils are Cch. However, Donna of ABC
Gerbils is producing the same phenotype with Ccb. It may be possible to get
this phenotype with a chcb/cbcb combination, however, I would expect to see
more distinct color points than those currently displayed on the Color
Strip.

I believe that I can safely say that most of us on the GML and AGS mailing
lists would consider Julian and Jackie Baker to be highly respected
"experts" in gerbildom. For this reason, and to my delight in finding my
gerbils color so well described, I feel strongly about giving this DEH
variation it's own name.

Recently, the term "Honey Cream" was objected to by our own, well respect,
resident expert of gerbildom, Elizabeth Heckert. She felt that referring to
this variation as "Honey Cream" would prove to be confusing to gerbil owners
and potential owners. I respect Elizabeth's position. However, I put forth
that giving this color it's own name would prove far less confusing to folks
than may first appear.

The precedent for an individual name assignment for a spotted color variant
has already been set. The Champagne and Red Eyed Champagne are simply
spotted Schimmels. However, because of the dramatic effect of the spotting
gene in combination with the efef gnome these colors are honored with a
distinct name designation. So to should the "Light Color Point Dark Eyed
Honey Spot" be honored with the much simpler moniker of "Honey Cream."  The
"Honey Cream" color only occurs when either the recessives ch or cb are
combined with the spotting gene. This effect is never subtle. While some
individuals may be more densely colored, where others are practically white,
the distinguishing characteristic is the "roaning" of the coat color. Even
the darkest colored Honey Cream gerbil will have a significant amount of
hairs which are white from root to the tip of the shaft. Also, all Honey
Cream coats fade into the white belly color. There is no visible, distinct
demarcation between the color of the belly fur and the dorsal fur.

To further argue the point, lets look at the pink eyed variants of the
color black, Lilac, Sapphire, and Dove. These three colors have the same
basic genetic code with only one color locus providing the different shades
depending on its recessive component, Lilac being "CC", Dove as "Cch, and
Sapphire as "Ccb."  These three, it could be argued, are basically the same
color. The
only genetic difference being the recessive 'c' which gives these colors
their distinct appearance. This is the same sort of genetic pattern seen in
the DEH. The recessive 'c' imparts a distinct coat color as well as pattern
when combined with the spotting gene.

It is my fervent wish that this color pattern be officially recognized by
the American Gerbil Society. The Honey Cream coloring is as distinct form
the normal Dark Eyed Honey as the Champagne and Red Eyed Champagne are
distinct colors from the normal Schimmel.

Respectfully yours,
Cinthia A. Dunn-Izquierdo
The Izzy Clan

P.S. The Gerbil Information Page,
http://users.bart.nl/~fredveen/colours1.htm  , has a fabulous photo of a DEH
with one ef gene. Perhaps another variant vying for it's own name too :}