>Not if you are changing the proportions of the image as a whole:  The
>moon will change to conform to the new aspect ratio.  But you can
>scale
>the source image to your desired height or width, keeping the original
>aspect ratio, then crop the image to the desired width or height.  Try
>it both ways (scale the smaller image to 1920 width, and see if it can
>be cropped to suit your purpose.
>
>Another thing to try:  Use the Tool Options dialog to manually set
>"Allow growing." Manually set the height and width of your crop
>selection to the desired size, which will extend beyond the original
>(1024 x 768) image boundary.  Then set Fixed Aspect ratio in the crop
>tool dialog.  Now you can play with the crop area freely by clicking
>and
>dragging the corners and edges, to make it fit around whatever parts
>of
>the original image you want to keep.  Crop the image, and scale it up
>your target dimensions.
>
>:o)

Thanks to all for the input, but since there was like 'zero' negative space for
the image, cropping of any sort didn't really work.

What I ended up doing was selecting the moon with the 'elliptical' tool (from
the new 1920 x 1080 image) then copying and pasting it into a 'new' file. From
here I created a circular moon to my liking. I then copied and pasted it over
top of the existing 'ovalish' moon in my 1920 x 1080 image. With some cloning of
the surrounding areas to get rid of the 'oval' moon remnants, I completed the
image. It is now a 1920 x 1080 image with a circular moon, and ready for a my
desktop as a wallpaper.

It works, I guess. I'm sure the other parts of the image are stretched also, but
I can live with those, I guess.

Seems like there should be a way to do this, what seems to be a somewhat simple
task.
I've heard of .svg (scaleable vector graphics) files that supposedly allow for
changing image size while keeping everything the same within the image, but I
have no experience with such files.

Here are my before and after images.

Attachments:
*