>I am assuming you are using GIMP 2.8 series and have UFRaw properly
>installed? If so, if you click on the automatic file type detection,
>you'll
>see that these extensions are already associated with raw (as in
>ufraw).
>
>However, some of the time, you will note that GIMP is unable to pass
>the
>file to UFRaw and insists on opening the embedded thumbnail as a TIFF
>file
>since NEF is based on the TIFF format.
>
>If you select raw (with all the extensions on the right side) and then
>try
>to open your NEF files, do they open correctly?

Well, the question is, is how to set UFRAW for *.nef, *.raw, ... as the default
editor without having to additionally manually navigate through the list
specifying the file type.  (Also note, I believe there are two *.raw  filetypes
in my list, with UFRAW type being listed all the way at the bottom.)

No problems once file type UFRAW is manually selected, the process just gets
extremely tiring to click through.  Doing some research on the .gimprc and gimp
pluginrc, it certainly looks as either the a default type can be specific within
either gimprc or gimp pluginrc, rather than having to confirm each time or
inadvertently forgetting and just getting the thumbnail.  (Tiring...)

Maybe I should also search through the Book of Gimp to see if this is listed
there, but I don't think so.  Most the book probably covers is (thankfully)
scripting.

After much time spent with UFRAW and dcraw, starting to invest some time into
learning RawTherapee.  Looks like lately a majority have migrated towards
RawTherapee.

--
rogerx (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)