I sent an email the other day covering this topic, but did not properly
explain my situation.1. I use Nikon's free VIEWNX 2 viewer to perform basic
editing functions on NEF files.  Works well and am pleased with it.2. However,
I want to be able to perform advanced editing functions that VIEWNX 2 does not
support, but GIMP and Lightroom 6 apparently do support;   They are:     a.
Perform batch processing:  Edit one of several pictures then combine the edits
to the other pictures.     b. Do Layering / Masking:  Want to do this to
perform the following:          b1. Create a long exposure during the daytime
without using ND filters.          b2. Create HDR pictures by combining
bracketed pictures.So far the replies indicate GIMP cannot handle Nikon's NEF
raw files.  Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to
pay about $142.00 for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file
format?
I do appreciate the previous replies and will appreciate any reply to this
email.Thanks:Chuck devlincfdevli...@yahoo.com