...snip...

>My question:  Is there a straightforward way to get a transparent
>background on a flattened image?

Not exactly what you request in the next bit

>The top portion of the book cover I'm generating features two separate
>images, a girl and a guy, brought together to give the illusion
>they're with each other in the same setting.  I want to set a third
>image (a blueprint vector) behind them, then reduce the opacity on the
>first two layers so the blueprint lines show faintly through.

..snip..

>Or . . .  is there another a method for joining two images together so
>their opacity can be adjusted without one image showing through the
>other?  That would solve the problem, too.

Always better if you can show screenshots with the layers dialogue, otherwise it
is all a bit of a guess.

Anyway, without spending too much time on it, you might have something this
screenshot http://i.imgur.com/YoeXAON.jpg a front character layer, a back
character layer - with layer masks and a blueprint background.

Turn off the visibility of all layers (background) leaving the character layers
and create a new layer from those. Layer menu -> New from visible.
http://i.imgur.com/CYEykne.jpg

Then turn the visibility of the characters layers **off**, visibility of the
background **on**, and adjust the opacity of the 'new from visible'
http://i.imgur.com/5Ew0KIn.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)