Hi, I have a Gnome 3 desktop running on Debian Jessie.
My /var/log/messages keeps blowing up to over 8 GB. When I study the
log, it looks like about 95% of the messages are Gnome debugging
messages. A lot of that 95% are debug messages from various apps using
glib or gtk, and a lot of it is Gnome Shell warnings repeated thousands
of times.

I've heard of ways to put a limit on the log size, but what I really
want to do is reduce a lot of that Gnome debug "clutter" so only the
smaller set of important messages are in the log. Is there some global
Gnome option somewhere that reduces the logging level for all
Gnome-based programs? That would be the ideal solution, I think.
Alternatively, if I could figure out an easy way to redirect those Gnome
messages elsewhere, that might be sufficient.

--
Christopher Howard
Computer Assistant