On 12/10/2009 08:17, Philip Weaver wrote:

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Ian Lynagh <ig...@earth.li
<mailto:ig...@earth.li>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    We are pleased to (finally!) announce the first release candidate
    for GHC 6.12.1:

    http://darcs.haskell.org/~ghc/dist/6.12.1rc1/
    <http://darcs.haskell.org/%7Eghc/dist/6.12.1rc1/>

    As well as the source tarball:
        ghc-6.12.0.20091010-src.tar.bz2
    there are installers for Windows (i386) and OS X (i386), and binary
    distributions for x86_64/Linux and i386/Linux. For the Linux binary
    distributions, the "linux-n" tarballs are recommended over the "linux"
    tarballs.

    Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
    before the release!

Thanks!  I have been eager to try out 6.12.  Unlike many of the recent
snapshots, this one built and installed fine on Mac OS X 10.6 :).

Is there an extralibs tarball that I should use with this?  I installed
the release candidate without said tarball.  First, I noticed that my
old version of cabal-install could not parse the output from
ghc-pkg-6.12.0.20091010:

cabal: failed to parse output of 'ghc-pkg dump'

Yes, work is in progress on cabal-install to update it to work with GHC 6.12.1. For now you have to use Cabal manually (runhaskell Setup configure, etc.).

Then, when I tried to build the network package manually, I got this:

Building network-2.2.1.4...
[1 of 5] Compiling Network.URI      ( Network/URI.hs,
dist/build/Network/URI.o )
[2 of 5] Compiling Network.Socket.Internal (
dist/build/Network/Socket/Internal.hs,
dist/build/Network/Socket/Internal.o )
[3 of 5] Compiling Network.Socket   ( dist/build/Network/Socket.hs,
dist/build/Network/Socket.o )

Network/Socket.hsc:1707:45:
     Not in scope: data constructor `System.Posix.Internals.Stream'

I think you may need the darcs version of the network package.