From what I could tell it is normal for such slow performance when creating
lots and lots of small files.  That is why gluster isn't recommended for
homedirectories, etc...  Reading lots of small files I think is ok, and
updating large files is ok, but creating lots of small files is terrible.

To show that large files are fine, you can try the following expirment.  Create
a large file (ie: 20gb file with dd) and make a loopback device out it and then
mount the loopback device, you can then get decent performance out of that
loopback running on gluster, but obviously only one machine would be able to
mount that loopback device at a time...  That test shows it might work ok for
hosting virtual machines.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Whitehead" <dri...@megahappy.net>
To: "Chris Webb" <ch...@arachsys.com>
Cc: gluster-users@gluster.org
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 5:00:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] Slow performance from simple tar -x && rm -r
benchmark

I have a number of labs I test my glusterfs installs on. From
Infinband 40G w/switch and also some cheap $800 boxes on a gig
network.

None of them exhibit the poor performance i'm seeing in your post - so
I'm just throwing out the differences I'm seeing with your config vs
mine.

Another option you might want to try is increasing the max number of threads:

gluster volume set <name> performance.io-thread-count 64