I just did a metad i386 installation on my laptop using mini.iso from [1]. I had to do just a base installation because my partition was too small for a full desktop install.

In the hardware recognition at the beginning it asks me if I want to install non-free firmware from an external medium (missing firmware = isl3886), with a default selection of "Yes". Not something we'd want to suggest, I think.

It looks like there's no IceCat repo configured by default. Graziano said that the Hardy PPA worked for him, so maybe that can be included?

So far I have installed a sparse gnome desktop and haven't seen much problems. Currently no sound, but I'll probably get that fixed once I've installed the proper packages. Will report back when I'm further along.

[1] http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/netboot/i386/netboot/