You might also look at Knoppix
(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which I've worked with
before. A full live CD/DVD, it's also got a menu on startup that lets
you pick CLI startup as well as various X, framebuffer, ACPI settings
for twitchy machines. Includes a bunch of utilities like partimage
that's handy for rescuing partitions from old hard drives, qparted,
etc, as well as a full GUI if you're just looking to test out a
machine for compatibility.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com