On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <k...@jots.org> wrote:
> That *VERY* much sounds like hardware.  Like, a lot.
>
> 1) If it's a wireless mouse, change the batteries.
>
> If it's *not* wireless, disable the trackpad and switch to a different
> external mouse.  Assuming the issue goes away (which I bet it will),
> re-enable one, then the other, and see who's at fault.

This is looking like the cause.  I haven't had a chance to use a
different mouse (track ball), but:

- Changed the batteries: no improvement.
- Unplug it or turn it off when problems arise and use the track pad:
much improvement.

It appears to be a problem with the buttons.  I'm not sure exactly
what is going on, but the ability to "clear" the problem by switching
to a VC and back (and other behavior apparently more complex than a
pointer device can "know about") may be something along the lines of
causing the UI to "forget" that a button down event had been inflicted
on some widget on the screen.

Thanks!

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster